All Articles

Wizard Quest revisited

I prefer to not come back to Wizard Quest as I literally hate that game, but when it was stolen and then sold cheap I had to do something about it.

Wizard Quest - map

And I did - I’ve secured the game with Jscrambler’s tools, which did the job quite well. You probably remember I was struggling with performance, and while they released new version since then (from 4.0 to 5.4) I decided to give it a go. I had a helpful tip from Paulo in the comments to start with.

The good news are, both code annotaion with ignore files, and the upgrade to a newer version helped a lot. And the best part? My time spent on the improvements was short and sweet. If you’re in a similar position be sure to give them a chance!

There’s a whole bunch of cool stuff in the Enterprise Plan you can dive into, like Attack Countermeasures, Source Maps, Control-Flow Flattening or Randomization Seed - this will help you secure your game even more, and it’s still easy to use even for someone like me who is not a security expert by any means.

It’s interesting to see how “Wizard Quest took me 4 years to finish” was one of my best talk ideas, with some valuable feedback from other devs after I presented it. This part was also used in “lessons learned from 800 games made for a jam” to confirm that both me and the js13kGames community are struggling with similar problems when building games, or finishing projects in general.

Anyway, the js13kGames compo starts in just a couple of days, so be sure to prepare yourself well.